Hey Geronimo Interview
1. How would you describe your music to someone who has never heard of your band before?
Poppy, stompy 60’s influenced music with harmonies a squeeze of lemon. We also like to think that we’re not terrible.
2. You just released a new music video for Dreamboat Jack, which included many hand puppets and remote controlled cars. What was the inspiration behind the video and did it turn out how you expected it to?
We got our hands on a Go Pro camera and just thought – what can we do with this?! No idea how it ended up turning into a puppet chase scene. It turned out great, but took so long. Never again!
3. You also used a toy plane in the video, so would you rather have your own plane or the car of your dreams?
We’d go for the car. Can’t yet afford somebody to fly us around.
4. You guys have been a band for little over a year now, do you remember the first show you played together or your first fan encounter?
We actually played at a Beatles tribute show in a last minute arrangement. We all had such a great time that we thought we should have a crack at the line-up being a real band. Can’t remember the first fan encounter, but they’re popping up more and more, which is kind of a spin out to be honest.
5. Speaking of playing shows, what is one thing you love to see while on stage looking down into the crowd?
We played Pete’s Ridge festival and these dudes were huddled under a blow up mattress to hide from the midday sun – Simple ingenuity is always the best. We’d love to see a Mexican wave one day.
6. You’re coming out with a new album soon, is there anything you can tell us about that and the songs on it?
It’s going to be bigger and better than the last release. We are pumped!!
7. What made you guys go in the direction of an indie-pop band?
We don’t think we ever shot for anything specific, genre wise. We just wanted to make music that would be fun to play and hopefully fun to listen and party to.
8. Not only have you released a music video for Dreamboat Jack, but you also have two other videos out which have been posted on multiple blogs and aired on international TV. Is it weird to see yourselves on the internet, or hear your songs played on TV?
The weird thing about being on TV is seeing yourself un-mirror reversed. Otherwise it’s not too bad. 🙂
9. Where do you hope to see Hey Geronimo in 5 years?
If we’re still playing together in 5 years, that would be amazing. It’s such a long time away!!!
10. With the number of new bands coming about, how do you distinguish yourselves from similar bands out there?
It’s going to sound a little too simple, but just write good songs. Cream will always rise to the top.
11. Any plans on touring in the US?
That would be amazing. Small chance later in the year…
12. Do you have any bands or musicians that inspire you?
Coming from different musical backgrounds there is an eclectic mix of inspiration churning about. Bands like Ben Folds Five, Weezer, The Beach Boys, Custard, The Vaccines are musicians we really look up to.
13. What’s the most played song on your iPod/Mp3?
Last album in the disc player of the tour bus was Paul Simon’s concert in Central Park.
14. What do you want fans to take from your music?
A smile (sorry for the naff answer, but it’s true!)
15. Where can people check out your band/music?
Bandcamp! It’s all there